Mosty definately! The world can be a more interesting place. But many parents are showering their children with technology to excess though. And obviously there needs to be a happy medium.
Back when my daughter was young, she was one of the first to have a computer. I will never forget the advantage she had. All her assignments were spewed from a printer with fancy graphics. And she never got less than an A. She needed to know something? Just look it up with Hotbot. (Ok this was some time ago.) And learning was so much more exciting with computer games that taught and entertained at the same time. But I also did something that many parents didn't do. I shared my daughters computer time with her.
But recently, something has changed. Parents are throwing electronics at their children at an alarming rate. And not supervising them. And also allowing them to become obsessed with them. My daughter did go through the text messaging phase too. But, seeing a potential problem, I gave her a monthly text message limit. I also saw her start talking on her cell phone too much. Yes teenagers are social creatures, but it needs to be done face to face. So once again I removed her unlimited service, and gave her 300 minutes a month. OUCH!!!!
Like I first mentioned, a happy medium is the place to be. Technology can enrich, but it can smother too. Be there for your child.
Larger families would like to know your insight on this subject. And they are offering a wonderful opportunity to win a great learning tool for children. A Leapster 2 hand-held game system and THREE games. All I can say is wow, since Leapster is in the top of it's class. But hurry, it ends December 14th at 10 PM EST.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and entering my Christmas Giveaway with Posh Panache! I'll be drawing for that later today.
I appreciate your post yesterday. We just got our 16 yr. old a phone since he passed his driver's test. We're more concerned about his needing it in an emergency, but we do not have texting on our phone and let him know. So far it's not been an issue, but we'll see. It will probably be different when our daughter starts driving. :( I'm amazed about how much more technological our children are these days... I guess the thing that scares me is all the junk that is available for them on the www! Thanks for posting!
Post a Comment